One of the other challenges in cooking healthy food is keeping a very meat-loving boyfriend happy too! So last weekend I decided to try and find a happy compromise – hello Chilli Beef Meatballs in Warm Pittas. There’s beef, there’s chilli, there’s bread. Although I have to admit, there wasn’t a huge volume of any of those items! These portion sizes are teeny weeny, and it’s quite panic-inducing when you see just how small the meatballs are. You make 6 out of 125g of beef so they’re proper wee. But somehow when you add the bread and salsa it isn’t too shabby for a lunch at all. Unfortunately because one of these pittas is 8 Weight Watchers Pro Points I couldn’t really do my usual trick and double up the portion size. But I would do that for Paul in the future – he said that if there were two pittas each he’d have upped his score to 9! Greedy bugger.
KB rating 8.5/10. PR rating 8/10. Weight Watchers Pro Points: 8 per serving
Chilli Beef Meatballs in Warm Pittas (serves 2)
- 125g lean beef mince (10% fat)
- Half small onion, finely chopped
- 5g Medium Fajita seasoning
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme or parsley
- 5 sprays calorie controlled cooking spray
- 1 tbsp Sweet Chilli sauce
- Pinch salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium pittas, white or wholemeal
- Handful of spinach, to serve
For the red onion salsa:
- Half a small red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 large tomato, finely chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, chopped into 2cm cubes
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
Mix together the beef mince, onion, fajita spice mix and the thyme or parsley. Season and then form the mixture into 6 evenly-sized balls.
Spray a non stick frying pan with cooking spray and add the meatballs. Cook for 12-14 minutes, turning occasionally. Add the sweet chilli sauce and cook for another minute, turning the meatballs over until glossy.
While the meatballs are cooking, make the salsa by combining all the ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Warm the pitta breads in a toaster or under the grill. Split open and then fill each one with a few spinach leaves, 3 meatballs and the salsa.